Personalized Attention ~ Experienced Advice

Divorce | Family Law | Adoption | Personal Injury

Sacrificing lifestyle when parents decline to pay child support

On Behalf of | Nov 29, 2013 | Child Support |

When a couple in Ohio decides to split and they have children, one of the major points of discussion is how each parent will financially support the kids over the years. Aside from dividing the assets, arranging child custody and a number of other obligations that need to be decided on, child support is a topic that is often discussed, and one that is likely to be visited again and again as the children grow.

This is the story of a child in Texas whose mother has not received regular child support payments from the child’s father. The father’s location is unknown, he has a warrant out for his arrest and he is thought to be unemployed. Essentially, the child is without the financial support of a father.

The child’s mother works for a television network in Texas and she has since remarried, but her husband, who is also gainfully employed, makes child support payments to a former spouse for his three children. With so much money in support payments going out each month and none coming, the family has decided to move from their home and take up residence in an apartment.

There are life changing events like unemployment when one parent may not have the ability to make financial contributions to fund their children’s lives for a period of time. It may be challenging during this time for parents to meet every day expenses, let alone fund extracurricular activities or foot the bill when a child has expensive medical needs. When people experience difficulty paying or collecting child support from a former spouse, it may be helpful for them to consult with an experienced attorney.

Source: U.S. News and World Report, “What to Do when Your Ex Won’t (or Can’t) Pay Child Support,” Geoff Williams, Nov. 20, 2013