Amy M. Levine & Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLC - Family Law, Bankruptcy, Probate Litigation, Criminal Defense
We now have a New Albany, Ohio location!

Columbus, OH 614-360-2942
Huntington, WV 304-519-4354
New Albany, OH 614-721-7726

Columbus, OH 614-360-2942
Huntington, WV 304-519-4354
New Albany, OH

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

New study focuses on unpaid child support

On Behalf of | Jun 24, 2015 | Child Support |

Throughout Ohio and the rest of the country, much of the child support that has been ordered remains unpaid. In fact, only about 61 percent of child support ordered of men had been paid to the mothers of their children in 2011. A new study looked at other contributions that these individuals made.

The Journal of Marriage and Family included a study in its June edition about other contributions that fathers make, even if they are not current on their child support. The study researched 367 low-income noncustodial fathers who resided in three different cities. It found that 23 percent of the fathers gave child support through the system. About 46 percent contributed other types of support. Another 28 percent gave money directly to the mother of the children.

The study found that about half of the fathers who were behind on child support contributed in other ways, such as purchasing school supplies, food, clothing and baby products. The average amount of such alternative contributions was about $60 a month. A total of 66 fathers provided such support to the 95 children who were researched in the study. The study authors opined that fathers were more likely to give their children purchased items rather than child support because these acts are more recognized by their children than the payment of child support.

Individuals who are not receiving child support that was ordered may choose to discuss their case with a family law attorney. This professional may be able to discuss the options that are available when the noncustodial parent has a lower income and any enforcement options that may change the situation.



FindLaw Network

Contact Us For A
Free Consultation