Personalized Attention ~ Experienced Advice

Divorce | Family Law | Adoption | Personal Injury

Helping Ohio Co-Parents Navigate Relocation

In today’s society, when companies frequently move their operations and people are generally more mobile, it is not uncommon for a custodial or noncustodial parent to confront the need or desire to relocate. You may have a better job offer or may be asked to relocate to keep your job. You may simply want your children to grow up closer to your family. You want an attorney who understands all the ramifications of relocation, one who has helped other families accommodate the needs of children and parents in an ever-changing society.

At the law offices of Amy M. Levine & Associates, Attorneys At Law, LLC, we bring extensive family law experience to men and women in Ohio . We start by listening, gathering as much information as we can about your specific situation. We will help you understand the law and the process, as well as your options, so you can make the best decisions for you and your children. We will keep you informed of any developments in your case and will make certain that you have a realistic expectation of your chances of success.

To set up a free initial consultation, call us at 614-360-2942 in Columbus or at 614-721-7726 in New Albany.

Columbus Parental Relocation Lawyer

We work closely with custodial and noncustodial parents, whether you want to modify custody and visitation arrangements so you can move or you want to prevent your ex-spouse from relocating and taking the children away from you. In Ohio, you cannot simply relocate to the other end of the state or to another state. You must obtain permission from the court, which will give priority to the best interests of the children.

Before a child can be moved out of state, the custodial parent must file a notice to relocate at least 30 days prior to moving. The noncustodial parent can then object to the notice, and the matter can be resolved in court.

If you want to challenge the request of the custodial parent to relocate, you need to take action in a timely manner. If you fail to properly object and the child moves to a new city, makes new friends and enrolls in a new school, the courts will be reluctant to put the child through the emotional challenges of leaving all of that.

If it seems likely that the request to relocate will be granted, we can help you set up a parenting plan that works better for you and your children. If the distance is significant, we can help you set up an agreement in which you see your child fewer times per year, but for greater lengths of time. We will also explain the ins and outs of modifying a custody arrangement.

Contact Us In Columbus Or New Albany, Ohio

To schedule your free initial consultation with an experienced relocation lawyer, contact us online or call us at 614-360-2942. We offer payment plans if needed.