Personalized Attention ~ Experienced Advice

Divorce | Family Law | Adoption | Personal Injury

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support In Ohio

Child custody and support can be among the most contentious issues faced by divorcing parents. At Amy M. Levine & Associates, Attorneys At Law, LLC in Columbus, we work hard to make sure our clients have all the information they need to make informed decisions. Here are the questions our lawyers hear most often regarding child support.

How is child support calculated in Ohio?

Ohio uses the “income share method” and a specific set of guidelines to determine child support amounts. Both parents’ gross incomes are determined, and certain adjustments can be made for things like spousal support, pre-existing child support orders, health insurance premium costs and child care. Then, the basic child support obligation is calculated and divided according to each parent’s proportionate income.

What does child support cover?

At its most basic, child support is intended to cover the child’s basic needs and ensure they receive adequate financial support according to their parents’ means. This means that child support can be used for food, rent or mortgage bills, utilities, clothing, medical expenses, transportation costs, educational needs and entertainment.

How will I collect my child support payments?

Normally, child support payments are withheld from the paying parent’s income through the county’s Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSA), and the money is paid to the receiving parent through Child Support Payment Payment Central.

How long does a child support order last?

In general, child support will end if the child marries, is emancipated, enlists in the military, turns 18 and is no longer a full-time high school student or turns 19 regardless of their school status. However, child support orders can be modified over time due to changes in the child’s circumstances, changes in a parent’s income or changes in custody.

Schedule A Consultation With A Columbus Child Support Attorney

If you are struggling to come to an agreement with your co-parent on issues related to child custody or support, you need experienced legal assistance. Call 304-519-4354 or email us today to obtain a free consultation with one of our attorneys.